I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty addicted to db2top. I started using it way back when it was a download from Alphaworks. It is simply unparalleled for free real-time monitoring for DB2. No, it’s not full enough of a feature set to be your only monitoring tool, but I can barely troubleshoot a locking issue any more without it. I tried last night, and it took me four times as long, at least.
Why did I even try to troubleshoot an occurring issue without db2top? Well, I have these nifty new AIX servers that were allocated by someone in another country. And every time I try db2top on them, I got something that looked like this:
I can see a few parts that look like db2top there, but nothing readable, and it doesn’t get better if I change the screen size or if I hit a key to get to a different type of screen.
Searching the web brought me to this APAR:
That is for 9.5. I am most certainly not using 9.5. These servers are 10.5, Fixpack 3. I had the same exact problem on 14 servers and 16 instances. My LANG variable was already correct. The ultimate resolution was to add these lines to my instance owner’s .profile:
LC_COLLATE="C" LC_CTYPE="C" LC_MONETARY="C" LC_NUMERIC="C" LC_TIME="C" LC_MESSAGES="C" LC_ALL= export LC_COLLATE export LC_CTYPE export LC_MONETARY export LC_NUMERIC export LC_TIME export LC_MESSAGES export LC_ALL